Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Trend Alert: Popular Colors for the Fall

Now that it's fall, I feel like I need to just take a little break from all the bright and energetic neon colors from the summer. Being busy with school, I don't usually take the time to try new colors. I usually just stick to my basics and my neutrals. They are good at times and for those lazy days when you don't feel like organizing an outfit, but what happens when you get bored of browns and greys and whites? "What other new color choices are there?"  you say? So I decided to do a little bit of research and here's a few colors I think are going to be a hit this fall (and already are!) : Oxblood, Jewel Tones,  and Mustard Yellow.

At first glance, the oxblood color didn't seem to be pop that much for me. It looked a little bland, and I wasn't really into it. So I kept looking. Soon enough, I realized I was really starting to fall for this color! There are so many ways you can wear it. It really looks gorgeous on virtually any item. There are also so many variations of the color, you can do anything with it. The hues range from a deep purple to a reddish - brown to burgundy and so much more. It really is a perfect color for the season. If you are feeling like trying something new and dramatic to your look, try dark oxblood colored lipstick or lipgloss this fall! If you want, try matching an oxblood piece with something leather like shoes, pants, or a jacket. Even famous fashion designer Jason Wu is all for it (or did he start the trend?)! Check out his fall runway collection and you might just fall in love too. Here are a few of my favorites from his oxblood designs on the runway:



I love how he matched the coat
with a super deep hue on the fur.


Just goes to show that oxblood is
gorgeous on pants too! 
 
 
Moving on to colder colors, jewel tones are super popular this fall. And with even more variety to the last category you can just go crazy with them! There are blues, greens, turqiouse, emerald, saphire... so many different choices! But there is one thing that they must have, a dark tint to them. I really love all these blue colors because it reminds me of my favorie place in the world, the beach. Of course the beach reminds me of summer, and summer means no more school! So what isn't to love about these gorgeous hues? Better yet if you have blue in your eyes, turquoise and aqua are absolutely stunning on you. If you aren't a fan of the dark dramatic look and don't want to go all-out with these dark colors you absolutely don't have to! Balance these dark tones by wearing nuetrals or a white cardigan. You can match your favorite top with a pair of dark pants, or wear the color as an accent scarf to your outfit. Here are some ideas to wear jewel tones:
Magnificant saphire pumps.
Dark emerald infnity scarf on TopShop.


Knitted Fringe Scarf by F21
I'm sensing a pattern, aren't you? That's right, dark winter-y colors are in early this fall! Including our next color, mustard yellow! Yes I realize mustard yellow fits into the jewel category as well, I just think it should really be highlighted as a seperate one for today. Everything about this color just says autumn to me. It reminds me of golden fall leaves. Since this color is more bright and overwhelming at times, make sure you balance it with other peices in your wardrobe. For instace, If you decide to wear a mustard shirt, maybe you can balance it with a nuetral, jewel toned, or oxblood cardigan. "Wait one second Makena, so you're saying I can combine all these colors you just mentioned in outfits?" Surprise! Of course you can! Jewel tones go great with mustard, mustard go goes great oxblood and oxblood is great with jewel tones! Back to balancing the outfit, one simple and popular way to do it is to add some back tights and black boots. Here are some outfit ideas for mustard yellow:




Mustard top with a brown cardigan,
tights and boots.




 
That's all for now,
- Makena


No comments:

Post a Comment